Thursday, July 19, 2007

Playing tag with raccoons

This is not something porcupines usually do, mainly out of laziness but officially out of consideration. But being tagged by the thoughtful and artistic Robin of Motel Zero, I'll play along for a bit.

1. Let others know who tagged you.
2. Players start with 8 random facts about themselves.
3. Those who are tagged should post these rules and their 8 random facts.
4. Players should tag 8 other people and notify them they have been tagged.

1) I already told you: Robin Starfish of Motel Zero. Go there, find haiku.

2.1) I have never been in love, never been homesick, never truly missed somebody. There is simply not a human-shaped hole in my soul for anyone to fill. This tends to creep people out. Trust me, it would have been mutual if I had not been used to your ways from an early age. Generally it looks to me like people have been unsuccessfully weaned.

2.2) I can look into people's eyes for any length of time, barring only the need to blink from physical dryness of the eyes. It causes me no pleasure or displeasure.

2.3) I have not been bored since sometime in my teens, except briefly during illness and similar confinement of mind and body both at once. I like to think that I changed on that day when I realized that life does not happen to me - I happen to it. But it could be that my brain simply would have grown out of boredom around that age anyway. I don't know with scientific certainty.

2.4) I am not shy, but I hate to bother people. To the casual observer, these may look the same, since I don't talk to people around me. Because I always have something interesting going on inside my head, I naturally assume that others have too, even when they are not actively doing anything. Yet I don't mind talking to people, alone or in groups, or even speak to crowds, if it is my job to do so.

2.5) My right hand and arm is permanently damaged from typing and mousing too much. It has recovered somewhat over the last few years, but I will likely need to be cautious for the rest of my life. One tool that has helped me is the speech recognition software "Dragon NaturallySpeaking" from Nuance (formerly Scansoft). Ironically, I can only use it for some minutes at a time, because my voice has fallen in disuse after decades of living alone. (At work I only talk briefly, and I can still do this at home too. 5-10 minutes an hour or so.)

2.6) I am not a vegetarian, but I have a natural distaste for eating dead animals. I occasionally do, in small quantities, but most of the time I just find it disgusting. I have been like this since childhood, but it has if anything increased now in my "middle age". I do however consume large quantities of milk. If I believed in reincarnation, I'd think that I was a reincarnated Hindu...

2.7) During my childhood on the farm we had two dogs, one after the other. I do not have pets now, but generally I prefer cats.

2.8) At age 15, I left home to go to high school in another part of Norway. Somewhat on a whim I applied for the language studies rather than maths and science. I never had reason to regret this, because the language study had mostly female students and the other mostly male. My quality of life skyrocketed. As a side effect, I learned English, which I now use more than my mother tongue. And that's how I met you!

3) Already wrote it all.

4) No. See 2.4, "I hate to bother people." Besides, the meme passed this way like 4 days ago. (I am not the fastest snail in the salad, I'm afraid.) So the taggables are already tagged.

That's all folks!

4 comments:

robinstarfish said...

Thanks, Magnus! I was sincerely hoping you'd play along! I like the talent you have with your eyes. Bespeaks of a very confident and serene soul.

I have a fondness for Norway, as my father's side of the family hails from there. My great-grandparents moved to Canada back in the late 1800's and my father moved down to the US in the 1930's. My grandmother always made lefsa on holidays and we occasionally keep the spirit alive to this day (it helps living in the Great Potato State). My father could speak quite a bit of Norwegian, but I'm afraid it was lost on me.

See you in the OC!

julie said...

If we were bothered, Magnus, we wouldn't be reading it :)

Thanks for sharing, though - to me, at least, it has been very interesting learning more about fellow commentors this week. You bring a very unique perspective to the table, and I think we all benefit as a result.

walt said...

Hi Magnus,
Sometimes in the woods near my home, I watch the porcupines play; but you're the only Wereporc'er I know! Your slant on topics is always refreshing - and you have a strong sense of irony in your humor. My mind always "listens a little extra" when you comment!

Anonymous said...

"I have never been in love"

Ha! NOW you've done it, as my Mamina would say. You put it out there, and o-boy, are likely to get it now. Smack you right between the eyes, most likely.

No doubt somebody REALLY inappropiate, or something, so you can get totally foolish about it.

Hee hee, hee hee hee