Monday, January 31, 2011

"Parasites on the holy"

I've been reading a bit in Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz' Thirteen Petalled Rose, a surprisingly approachable book. (At least after having rammed my head against the walls of Schuon and Aurobindo repeatedly...) Some things, I can see, are not right for me. But other things seem quite helpful. Anyway, I came across a drive-by mention in his chapter on holiness, that there exist entities that are parasites on the holy.*

At this point, of course, my thoughts went to One Cosmos Under God (another fairly easy read), where Robert Godwin uses the phrase "mind parasites" to describe the unhelpful complexes that plague our species. Given that Rabbi Steinsaltz considers the human being a line or ray that stretches all the way from the Holy One to the material plane and beyond, or that humans are said to be in the image of God, it makes perfect sense to have parasitic entities swarming us. This is not a purely religious observation: The very fact that we have creativity and imagination is what makes it possible for us to also play host to all kinds of weirdness.

(* Steinsaltz believes that approaching holy places or times without proper preparation, or at the very least proper attitude, may be worse than nothing. The New Testament expresses a similar view in regards to the Eucharist, to the point where indifference to its spiritual nature may even be life-threatening. In light of this we may surmise that Jesus' warning to not give dogs what is holy is also an expression of concern for the dogs. On the Internet, nobody can see that you are a dog, so take care.)

4 comments:

Frescoes Of a Cave Dance in Firelight said...

Your great strength is the power of discernment.

So, are there parasites in or near you? If so, where are they, and what do they feel like?

Is "parasite" the proper term for what you discern?

I would be interested to read your take on it, pure of other experience and relying solely on your own.

Magnus Itland said...

Your request is beyond my ability, my chameleonic friend. A human does not exist in such a purity of isolation in this world, not even one who takes the porcupine as his totem. The very language we speak is almost entirely the gift of others; and before the age of language, I drank the life of my parents, grandparents and brothers with my eyes and ears. Their body language, their tone of voice, and the recurring sounds of their words shaped parts of my psyche that can hardly even be reached in dreams.

Although we come to this world with a destiny, we start as fate. Only when I leave the building will I know who I really am.

Of course, life is a journey of discovery. (Or like an Easter egg hunt, as one spiritual teacher put it.) But the details will vary from one person to another.

Frascoes of a Cave Dance in Firelight said...

I see what you mean, Magnus. You are enmeshed to the point where you cannot separate out or parse the parasites.

Well, not all of them. Some of them are relatively obvious. You know which I mean.

The one that whispers doubt or fear in your ear. The one that states "you don't have what it takes to have a good relationship."

The others that bleat "you don't deserve to be happy and wealthy."

Etc, etc.

Fie to the parasites. Yes you see them, and now its time to put out their eyes.

They are flesh and blood, mortal. They can be slain.

Magnus Itland said...

The message of Jesus Christ (the holy) is: "IT IS MORE BLESSED TO GIVE."

The message of Satan (the parasite) is: "YOU DESERVE BETTER."

Choose carefully whose advice you will follow.