Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A long canvas to bleach

That is a common expression here in Norway, or at least it used to be, back when patience still was considered a virtue. It means a project that takes an inordinate amount of time. (Bleaching canvas was presumably a familiar drudgery back in the age of sails.)

Analects of Confusius, Book 2.
The Master said, "At fifteen, I had my mind bent on learning.
"At thirty, I stood firm.
"At forty, I had no doubts.
"At fifty, I knew the decrees of Heaven.
"At sixty, my ear was an obedient organ for the reception of truth.
"At seventy, I could follow what my heart desired, without transgressing what was right."

Confusius died at the age of 74 according to one history book (or 71-72 according to Wikipedia). Was it worth it? I think so.

When someone is transformed into his highest aspiration, something is created that transcends time. That's what I mean when I say, you have to open the present to open the future and the past. The only way to make our past better is by making progress in the "reception of truth", so that the things that made no sense begin to make sense.

I hope to also live to an age where I can follow what my heart desires, in every way, without transgressing. But in any case, whenever our journey comes to its end, I believe we will not regret a single step of it. We may however regret the steps we did not take. In fact, I do that pretty much each night.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hereby release you of all guilt or regret. Go free, son.

Magnus Itland said...

A heartwarming message.
But it would probably be easier for your son to recognize if you were not anonymous...

***INTERLOCUTOR X*** said...

***********************************

Guilt and shame are known to me; and they are not of much use to anyone. That is why I said what I did. I feel that waking up with regrets is a negative outcome that is not needed.

So...and also I am very, very old. That is why you are my son.