Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Different readings

Feeling a little peckish for some real religion, I checked out Psalm 119, which I vaguely remembered having looked at in the past. There I came upon verse 41:

"May your unfailing love come to me, O LORD, your salvation according to your promise;"

and my first impression of it was to mean: This was the salvation the Lord promised, that I should be filled with His unfailing love.

That is certainly not the only way to read it, and may not even have been what was intended. I believe it is not so long ago that I would have read it as a plea for God to love me and save me, which are in fact both sorely needed. I am not actually yet overflowing with love and practicing it at every opportunity. But at some point my focus has changed, so that this now seems like an obvious goal and a salvation in itself.

Now, the practice... that is lagging badly. Although at least I have no enemies that I know of, so there is that difference from my youth. At the time, I would read the Bible repeatedly and pray at length, sometimes with tears; but I was also ready to dismember any man who would belittle my person. So I doubt I would have read the verse in the same manner back then.

4 comments:

mushroom said...

I think that's a appropriate reading considering how Paul puts it in Romans 5:5 that God's love is "poured out into our hearts" or the KJV says something like "shed abroad in our hearts".

Sounds like we receive our salvation when the love of God flows through us to others.

Magnus Itland said...

Yeah, I may have snapped it up from Paul too, among others. I know I did not come up with it on my own.

Der Fledermaus said...

If you don't mind, Magnus, a fresh post is requested.

Ideally I'd like to see a new post each week.

Thanks. DFM

Magnus Itland said...

Heh. I was actually thinking of writing one tonight. I am not petty enough to scrap it, but I happen to have another piece of writing that I will attend to first. Then we'll see.