Sunday, December 27, 2009

Known unknown unknowns

"If you put aside what you think you know about Jesus and approach the Gospels as though for the first time, something remarkable happens: Jesus emerges as a teacher of the transformation of consciousness."

So says the Amazon book review for The Wisdom Jesus: Transforming Heart and Mind--A New Perspective on Christ and His Message, which they automatically recommend me on my 51st birthday.  Better late than never!

But really, I don't need to put aside what I thought I knew.  I already thought I knew Jesus that way, just not ONLY that way. It is not like it has been a complete secret for the last 1500 years. It is just not widely advertised, because most people don't want their consciousness to be transformed. They want quick, cheap forgiveness, and it is hard to beat Jesus on that. 

Be that as it may, it makes me wonder.  Many people are ignorant of many things.  I was ignorant of many things I recently learned about. Obviously then, there are still many things I don't know, and don't even know that I don't know. Things that are utterly beyond my radar. And judging from the past, some of these are probably hiding in plain sight.

Ignorance - it is not just for other people anymore!


3 comments:

mushroom said...

So Socratic.

And you're right about Jesus, too -- "...be transformed by the renewing of your mind..." is Paul's summation of it.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Consciousness and those who really know how to Teach IT please check out these references.

www.adidam.org/teaching/aletheon/truth-life.aspx

http://global.adidam.org/books/ancient-teachings.html

http://global.adidam.org/books/perfect-knowledge.html

Apart from perhaps Meister Eckhart you wont find anything remotely like this in the entire Christian Tradition, including the Bible.

Magnus Itland said...

I keep wondering whether it is a human or a software script that searches for spiritual keywords and pastes random spoutings by the would-be deity Adi Da. If it is a software robot, it is pretty well made. If it is a human, it is pretty sad. Artificial intelligence it is not, in either case.